Friday 14 March 2014

Rest in peace, Tony Benn

RIP Tony Benn 1925-2014

One of Britain's political greats, even if there was a lot he said and did that I didn't agree with.  And these words which he said in 2005 should be written in letters of fire on the door of the House of Commons.

Ask the five great questions

What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?
In whose interests do you exercise it?
To whom are you accountable?
How can we get rid of you?

Only democracy gives us that right.  That is why no-one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it; including you and me, here and now.

Rest in peace. 

2 comments:

  1. Sister Tiberia,

    Nice article. I'd say that at least Tony Benn had political principal and would stick by it, in the same sense as Mrs Thatcher did, unlike the current politicians who seem to lack conviction. And -this will upset the trendy left - having read his diary tapes- he was by all accounts friends with Enoch Powell....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enoch Powell deserved to be remembered for better reasons that the misquoted "rivers of blood" speech - I've actually got a post I'm planning for after Lent which shows him in a very different light. If I can actually find the reference I need :)

    ReplyDelete